How to Make Pumpkin Soup
It is the perfect dish for the fall season, as it is delicious and comforting. To make pumpkin soup, follow this simple recipe:
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup coconut milk or heavy cream
- 1 medium-sized pumpkin (around 3 pounds)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- Optional toppings: croutons, roasted pumpkin seeds, sour cream, or fresh herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the pumpkin: Cut the pumpkin in half vertically after washing it. Seeds can be discarded or saved for roasting later. Remove the skin from the pumpkin and cut it into smaller pieces.
- Sauté the onion and garlic: Over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Chop the onion and mince the garlic. During the second or third minute of sautéing, the onion should become translucent and the garlic should smell good.
- Cook the pumpkin: With the onion and garlic, stir well the pumpkin pieces into the pot. The pumpkin should soften slightly after cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Add the spices: On top of the pumpkin mixture, sprinkle the cumin and nutmeg. The spices should be evenly coated on the pumpkin.
- Simmer the soup: The mixture should be covered with broth, either vegetable or chicken. After bringing the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer it until the pumpkin is tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Blend the soup: Upon reaching a soft state, turn off the heat. Purée the soup in a regular blender or with an immersion blender until it’s smooth and creamy. If using a regular blender, work in batches when blending hot liquids.
- Add cream or coconut milk: Stir in coconut milk or heavy cream and return the pot to low heat. The flavors in the soup need to blend for a few more minutes, so let the soup simmer for another 5 minutes. Depending on your taste, sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
- Serve: Put your choice of toppings on the pumpkin soup, such as roasted pumpkin seeds, croutons, sour cream, or fresh herbs. Enjoy!
Seasonings and consistency can always be adjusted according to personal preference. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon for sweetness or experiment with different spices.