How To Make Crab Cake Croquettes
CRAB CAKE CROQUETTES INGREDIENTS
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked through for shells, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, finely chopped (with or without seeds)
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 small red onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for shallow frying
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- 4 cups unseasoned breadcrumbs
- kosher salt and black pepper
Combine mayonnaise, chili-garlic sauce, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Refrigerate the mixture to chill.
Next, heat a 10-inch heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add canola oil and heat until glossy. Toss in celery, jalapenos, onions, and bell peppers, cooking until they soften (about 3 minutes). Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl and allow them to cool to room temperature for about 10 to 12 minutes. Set the skillet aside after wiping it clean.
Add crabmeat, 1 1/2 cups of breadcrumbs, egg, and 1/2 cup of chili mayonnaise to the cooled vegetables. Season with salt and black pepper, then mix everything well. Place the remaining 2 1/2 cups of breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl and set it aside. Shape the crab mixture into bite-size croquettes, making about 25 to 30 in total (approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons each). Roll each croquette in the breadcrumbs to coat them evenly.
Arrange the croquettes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or you can refrigerate them for up to 8 hours.
For cooking, heat 1/4 inch of canola oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the croquettes in batches until they turn golden brown and are cooked through, flipping them once (about 2 to 3 minutes per side).
Transfer the cooked croquettes to a serving platter and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Serve the croquettes with the remaining chili mayonnaise for dipping. Enjoy!