One of the most delighting and all-time favourite dessert in India is the Gulab Jamun. Its a spherical and soft dessert in the form of balls of reddish brown colour. Due to its reddish appearance, it is also known as Lal Mohan in Nepal. But what makes it so yummy? Let’s check out the ingredients and recipe.
Ingredients for sugar syrup:
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- 4-5 green cardamom
- ½ tsp rosewater
- Few strands of kesar
Ingredients for Gulab Jamun:
- 1 cup of milk powder
- 2 tsp flour
- 1 tsp suji
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Oil for frying
- Coconut crush and dry fruits for garnishing
Recipe for sugar syrup:
- Take 2 cups of water in a utensil and pour 2 cups of sugar into it. Stir it continuously.
- With constant stirring, boil the water until the sugar completely disappears.
- After dissolving the sugar completely, add some green cardamom into the syrup while it is being heated.
- Now turn the flame OFF and pour ½ tsp of rosewater into the syrup to not only get a strong and pleasant fragrance, but also a little taste of rosewater.
- Thus, keep the sugar syrup aside for future use as we are done making the sugar syrup.
Recipe for Gulab Jamuns:
- Take a clean bowl. Add 1 cup of milk powder in it along with 2 tbsp ghee, 2 tsp flour and ½ tsp baking soda. Mix it well.
- Get ¼ glass of water and soak 1 tsp suji into it. Drain out the excessive amount of water from it.
- Remember that you can use more water if the suji isn’t properly soaked in it. The water remains would have to be drained out afterwards.
- Now, take suji paste and the mixture containing milk powder, ghee, flour and baking soda. Mix these both mixtures properly.
- Note that you should only mix it and not make dough.
- Now, add some milk to reduce the hardness of the mixture, therefore, making it medium hard.
- Take a damp and dry cloth. Cover it over the mixture.
- After 20-25 minutes, take the mixture and divide it into 18-20 parts. Take each part and roll them into your palms in order to make them spherical for a perfect Gulab Jamun shape. Keep them aside in a plate
- Get a deep frying pan and pour oil into it until it is half filled. Now, heat the oil on a high temprature for some time.
- After some time, when the oil is completely boiled, lower down the heat to medium. Slide the Gulab Jamun balls into the oil from the sides of the pan so as to avoid spilling of oil and other related hazards.
- Initially, when the balls are slid into the oil, they sink. But after 5 minutes of proper frying the balls will rise to the surface and begin to float.
- Meanwhile, when you’re frying the balls, take a slotted spoon and stir it slowly so that the spoon doesn’t touch the balls. Also remember that it moves the balls in such a way that very side of it is fried properly.
- If the previous step is performed successfully, the balls would turn into brown.
- Always make sure that the temprature is adjusted perfectly as at a high temprature, the Gulab Jamuns will tend to break. Otherwise, at low temprature, the time taken for frying will be much more.
- After frying the balls, take them out into a plate.
- Now, take these balls and soak them into the sugar syrup for about 1-2 hours. After this, the Gulab Jamun are ready.
Before serving, garnish them with dry fruits and coconut crush. Now enjoy fingerlicking Gulab Jamuns with your family and friends.