If you want to take a break from Instagram, you have two options: you can delete your account and leave the social platform forever. Or you can just temporarily disable it. This is how you delete or deactivate your Instagram account.
How to delete your Instagram account forever
Before deleting your Instagram account, you should carefully consider if you want to do that. You cannot reactivate your account and you’ll lose all your content, followers, comments, and likes forever. If there’s a chance you might want to restore everything later, consider deactivating your account instead of deleting it.
The time needed: 4 minutes.
You can´t delete an Instagram account by using the app on your smartphone. You have to use a browser on your computer or smartphone.
- Log into Instagram
Log into Instagram using a (mobile) browser.
- You need to know the delete Instagram account Link
There is a page called “Delete Your Account”, but you won’t find it by clicking around. You must know the exact link. Click on or type the following URL: https://www.instagram.com/accounts/remove/request/permanent/
- Choose an option
Choose an option to answer the question of why you want to delete your account
- Click the red button
After you´ve chosen an answer, a red button will appear: ”Permanently delete my account”.
- Re-enter your password.
Re-enter your password. Then click or tap on the red button to permanently delete your account.
- Your profile and your information will be deleted.
Your profile and your information will be permanently deleted 30 days after your deletion request. It can take up to 90 days to delete all your content, but it won’t be visible to other users during this time.
How to deactivate your Instagram account temporarily
Instead of deleting your account, you may simply disable it for a set length of time to take a break from Instagram without losing any of your followers or posts. This is another option that can only be used in a browser.
- Use a browser on your computer or smartphone to access Instagram.
- Open your profile and then select “Edit profile” from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to find out more. Click “Temporarily disable my account” in the bottom right corner.
- To let Instagram know why you wish to disable your account, you’ll have to select an option.
- You’ll be given the option to terminate your account after you’ve chosen an answer.
- Re-enter your password if necessary. After that, click or tap.