Facebook has its own name policies, which aren’t particularly stringent. You can use your professional name as well as your nickname, and you can modify your name for any reason.
There are a variety of reasons why you might wish to change your Facebook name. Perhaps you’ve been going by a nickname and now wish to go by your true name.
You can change your name on Facebook for any reason; simply follow these guidelines:
- You may use your own name or a nickname
- You may not use a fictitious name.
- You are not permitted to use symbols, numbers, certain characters, punctuation marks, or unsuitable words, phrases, or titles of any type on Facebook.
The Facebook name change policy is rather simple if you follow all of the criteria. You can’t change your name very often, and you can’t alter it shortly after you’ve changed it. So only make a name change that you can live with for at least 60 days. There are certain additional requirements you should review if you wish to change the Facebook page/business name.
Let’s go over some of the most often asked questions:
How to Modify Your Facebook Name
- Log in to your Facebook account using your username and password by going to the Facebook homepage.
- Then, in the top-right corner of the Facebook page, go to settings and click the icon. You’ll notice a dropdown menu; select Settings from there.
- Click the General option on the left-hand side to get to the General Account Settings box, where you can change your name and username. You may alter your Facebook name right here.
- The main name options can be accessed by clicking the blue Edit icon in the top-right area next to your name. You can modify your first, last, and middle names here. Change the name to the one you wish. There’s also the option to add another name if you wish to add a different variety of your name.
- If you wish to alter your Facebook username, click on username, which is located under the name column. Make a new user name or write it down.
- If you’re happy with your names, go ahead and preview them, then input your password and click Save Changes.
Your new name will appear shortly after, but it could take up to 24 hours for the most recent changes to take effect.
On my phone, how can I change my Facebook name?
To update your Facebook name on your phone, follow these steps:
- Hopefully, you’ve downloaded the Facebook app to your phone. If not, look for and download the Facebook app from the App Store for iPhone and the Google Play Store for Android.
- Log in to your Facebook account by opening the app and logging in.
- On an iPhone, tap the three lines in the bottom-right corner; on an Android, tap the three lines in the top-right corner.
- Scroll down to the account settings section. Go to Account settings, then General, then Name; you’ll now be able to edit your name, user name, or add a username.
- Click Review Changes when you’ve finished editing the name. Enter your password and save changes if you’re happy with what you see in the preview.
Why can’t I change my Facebook name?
If you are unable to alter your name for whatever reason, you may be experiencing one of the following issues:
On Facebook, you may only alter your name once every 60 days. The waiting period can extend to 120 days if you change your name frequently. Perhaps you recently changed your name, in which case you must wait 60 days before changing your name again.
When it comes to changing your name on Facebook, there are some rules to follow. Make sure you follow all of the above-mentioned name-change regulations before trying again.