Rajma chawal is a very common dish in any Punjabi house and it’s fabulous taste can make anyone fall in love with it. The kidney beans and the rice make a yummy combination. So, for some happy hours with family, use the following recipe of rajma chawal.
Ingredients for Rajma Chawal (servings- 4-5):-
- 250 grams of rajma or kidney beans, 200 grams of beans soaked in water overnight.
- 1 tablespoon of chopped ginger
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Salt as per required
- 2 tablespoons of ghee or oil
- ¾ -1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of amchur powder
- ½ teaspoon of red chilli powder
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 1 chopped green chilli
- 3 medium chopped tomatoes
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon of jeera
- 1 cup rice
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3-4 cups of water
- Pinch of red chilli powder(as per taste)
- ¼ teaspoon of jeera
- 1-2 tablespoon of oil/ghee
Method for Rajma Chawal
- For rajma, wash the kidney beans to get the dust and chemicals out and soak them in enough water for 8-9 hours or overnight.
- Now, in the morning, drain the water and wash them again and keep aside for sometime.
- Now, take a pressure cooker, add rajma and all the chopped vegetables.
- Then add spices- red chilli powder, turmeric powder, jeera and salt.
- Add enough water and stir well.
- Add ghee or oil and mix well.
- Now, cover the cooker with lid and then let it whistle for about 18-20 times on a high flame.
- After the whistles are done and pressure is settled down, check the rajma if they are cooked well or not.
- Now, for thickening the curry, simmer it and don’t cover. You can even mash the beans for making the gravy thick.
- And, if the spices are not in accurate quantity, add some and now, get chawal ready.
- First of all, rinse the rice with water properly to get the dust and chemicals out.
- Now, in a pressure cooker, heat the oil/ghee and when it gets hot, put jeera.
- When jeera starts to crackle, add salt and red chilli powder according to taste.
- Then, add the rinsed rice and water.
- Now, stir the mixture well and close the lid of cooker.
- Now, let the cooker whistle for 3-4 times.
- When the pressure is released, open the cooker and serve rajma chawal hot with pickle, curd and sliced onions.