Rava Kesari is a prominent South Indian dessert having mild golden colour. Also referred as kesar halwa in the northern states, Rava Kesari has its origin in Karnataka. In the southern states, there is a custom of serving rava kesari on auspicious occasions, especially during the Navratra when it is devour as the prasadam. Having such an admirable flavour, its recipe is a simple one. Check it how to make Rava Kesari using the ingredients listed below.
Ingredients for Rava Kesari:
- 1 cup of rava
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of ghee
- 3 cups of water
- A pinch of kesari powder
- A pinch of saffron
- Cardamom powder
- Cashew nuts and raisins
Recipe for Rava Kesari:
1. Take a dry heavy bottom pan and dump 1 cup of rava into it.
2. Now roast the rava until its shade turns mild golden and it also starts to give out a pleasant aroma.
3. Empty the pan. Keep the roasted rava in some other utensil and keep it aside for some time.
4. Take 1 tbsp ghee and spill it in the same pan. Fry the cashew nuts and raisins in the ghee and keep them aside as well.
5. Now take another such pan and boil 3 cups of water. It is important to note that we would only use hot water for the Rava Kesari. Hot water prevents the formation of chunks in the rava.
6. Take the remaining ghee and put it together with roasted rava. Mix them properly while frying them.
7. After frying, pour the boiling water into the rava mixture. Add a pinch of kesari powder and saffron into it to give it the colour of saffron and essence kesar. Stir the mixture constantly.
8. Now, add 2 cups of sugar into the mixture while cooking it. Mix it thoroughly until the sugar disappears completely.
9. After sugar, sprinkle some cardamom powder onto the mixture in order to enhance the taste of Rava Kesari to much an extent.
10. Garnish the Rava Kesari with fried raisins and cashew nuts as a final milestone in its preparation.
Now your Rava Kesari is ready to be enjoyed. Best served hot.