Pav bhaji is a very famous food of Mumbai streets. Pav bhaji is nothing but the toasted bread served with spicy mashed vegetables. It is quite easy to make pav bhaji, just need the ingredients and a bit of your time. Use this recipe to spice up your sunday morning this time.
Ingredients for Pav Bhaji (servings-5):-
- Vegetables required
- 1 cup of green(fresh or frozen) peas
- 12-14 chopped french beans(as per wish)
- 1 cup of chopped carrot
- 1- 1 ¼ cup of chopped cauliflower
- 250 grams of chopped potatoes
- 2-3 cups of water for cooking the vegetables
- Making Bhaji
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 ½ -2 cups of water
- 2-3 tablespoons of pav bhaji masala
- 1 teaspoon of jeera
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste having 5-6 cloves and 1 ½ inches of ginger
- 1-2 chopped green chilies
- 1 medium sized finely chopped capcicum
- 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Salt as per taste
- 2-3 large finely chopped tomatoes
- Other items required
- 12-15 pavs as per requirement for serving with bhaji
- 5-6 tablespoons of butter for enriched flavour of bhaji
- 1 finely chopped lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves
- 1 lemon quartered
Method for the Pav Bhaji
Making of Pav Bhaji-
- Add all the chopped vegetables and you can even add vegetables of your own choice in a pressure cooker and add 2.25-2.5 liters of water.
- Now, pressure cook all the vegetables for 5-6 whistles on a medium flame.
- After 12-13 minutes, check if the veggies are cooked well.
- Now, in a pan, heat the butter and when it melts, add jeera and when jeera crackles, add chopped onions.
After 2-3 minutes, add ginger garlic paste and saute till the aroma of garlic goes away.
- Now, add green chilies and tomatoes and mix well.
- Cook the mixture on a low flame till the tomatoes become a bit mashy for about 6-7 minutes.
Don’t let the mixture stick to the pan. Now, add the chopped capcicum and saute. Whenever the mixture starts sticking to pan, use some water.
- After 2-3 minutes, when capcicum are a bit crunchy, add turmeric powder and red chilli powder and mix very well.
- Now, add the pressure cooked vegetables and add the same water as was used in boiling them.
Add salt and mix well.
- Now, using a potato masher, mash the vegetables in pan and mash to make a smooth mixture having good consistency, neither thick nor thin.
- Don’t let the bhaji dry out. Add some water if required.
- Simmer the bhaji for almost 10 minutes.
- When the consistency is good, add pav bhaji masala, red chilli powder, salt and 5-6 tablespoons of butter.
- Now, you can toast the pavs and garnish the bhaji with coriander leaves and quartered lemon and chopped onions and serve hot.