India is a land of wonders and pani puri is one of them. We Indians are crazy pani puri lovers, so crazy that we even bet who will eat more pani puri balls. Water balls, puchka, pani puri, gol gappa are some of the names of this amazing street food. But, due to hygiene and health issues, people nowadays avoid eating pani puri from stalls. So, why not make this street food at home without thinking of germs. So, give a shot to pani puri this sunday.
Ingredients for Pani Puri (servings:4-6):-
Ingredients for preparing Puri –
- 1 cup of suji
- ¼ cup of salt
- ¼ cup of aata or whole wheat flour
- Oil for frying
Ingredients for preparing Panipuri’s Pani at home-
- 1 teaspoon of roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of dry mint powder
- Salt as per taste
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- Red chili powder as per taste
- 1 tablespoon of a concentrated turmeric
- 3 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Chat masala as per taste
Ingredients for preparing Pani Puri’s Filling at home-
- 1 large potato, boiled, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup of chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons of chaat masala
- ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 cup of dry peas, yellow or green
- Salt, red chilli powder and black pepper powder as per taste and requirement
Method for Making the Pani Puri at Home:-
- Soak the dried peas in water overnight and in the morning, drain the water.
- In the morning, take a pan and boil the peas with turmeric powder and baking soda in enough water. When water boils, simmer the peas until they become soft.
- Turn the flame off, drain the water and sprinkle salt, red chili powder, black pepper powder and mix well. Let the peas cool at room temperature.
- Now, when peas are cool, mix chopped cilantro, cubed potatoes and chat masala and mix them well. Add lemon juice and your filling for pani puri is ready.
- For pani, in four cups of water, mix lemon juice, concentrated tamarind, sugar, salt, red chilli powder, mint powder, cumin powder, chat masala.
- You can use ice cubes for chilled water. Refrigerate the pani until puri is ready.
- In a bowl, mix suji, aata and salt and make a soft dough. Leave the dough for 30 minutes.
- Till then, heat the oil in kadai for frying of puris.
- When the dough is ready, make small balls out of dough and make discs of approx 1 ¼ inches diameter.
- Fry the discs in oil and when they puff and become a little brown, flip them to other side and let that side become brown too. The puris must be crisp and light brown in colour.
- Take the puri out and drain the oil using paper towels.
- Do the same to all the discas and let them cool at room temperature.
- Now, when everything is ready, serve pani puri and enjoy family time.
This is how you can enjoy Homemade panipuri with friends and relatives. The goal of preparing panipuri or Gol-Gappa at home is to eat hygienic and eat your heart out.