Momos, in spite of being Tibetan cuisine is one of the beloved dishes in India. This dumpling, filled with meat or vegetables, steamed or fried, depending on the choice has established itself as an official Indian street food. In recent news, it came to fact that roadside momos are unhealthy for health. But homemade momos won’t be unhealthy because of proper hygiene and use of standard products and moreover your touch will make them more tasty. So, for your next evening chit-chat with family, add momos to the menu. Usually, momos are served with mayonnaise and tangy chilli sauce that can spice up the conversation too.
Ingredients for Veg Momos (servings-12)-
- 2 cups of all purpose flour or maida
- ½ tablespoon of baking powder
- ½ tablespoon of salt and salt as per taste for filling
- 1 cup of grated cabbage and carrots
- ½ cup of finely chopped onions
- ¼ tablespoon of vinegar
- ¼ spoon of kalimirch or black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
Veg Momos Making Method
- Using the flour, ½ tablespoon of salt and baking powder, make a dough using water. The dough must be stiff enough.
- Keep the dough aside covering it with damp cloth to keep the dough moist.
- Meanwhile, start preparing for the filling. In a pan, heat the oil and saute the onion and garlic till the aroma of garlic goes away.
- Then add carrots and cabbage and saute at high flame till the mixture becomes shiny. You can use more vegetables according your taste and convenience.
- Now, turning the flame off, add soya sauce, vinegar, kalimirch and salt as per taste to the mixture.
- Now, using the dough, make very thin balls and flatten them in circular shape using some oil in your palms and then place the filling made in the center. The flattened balls must neither be too thin or thick.
- The thin ones will tear apart and thick ones won’t steam properly.
Wrapping the wet edges, make a twisty end and do the same with rest of the balls. You can make any shape of the momos as you like but the ends must be closed properly so that filling might not fall outside.
Steam the momos for 10 minutes in a steamer basket or idli cooker. Momos will be cooked when they will look transparent and will not be sticky. Serve them hot with chilli sauce and mayonnaise.