It is quite true that the ultimate way to heart is food. Food brings people together and can be considered as a symbol of unity and togetherness. For example, biryani got its origin from Muslims but now, it is ruling over all the indian hearts of all the religions. This south asian mixed dish comes with a lot of varieties dependent on the location and culture of the area.
Biryani has got its types on variable basis. For example, on the basis of location, the types of biryani are- Delhi biryani, Sindhi Biryani, Kolkata Biryani, Hyderabadi Biryani, Afghan Biryani, Sri Lankan Biryani etc. All the types have a unique taste because of different spices and way of making.
Biryani has both veg and non-veg versions each having its own speciality. Vegetable biryani is also one kind of biryani and the veggies and rice together make a great combination. The blend of spices give the biryani its ultimate taste, texture and flavour.
Following recipe will help you make biryani at home without much efforts using pressure cooker only. Try this out soon to make our house aromatic with biryani. Biryani is usually served with curd, pickles, chutney and onions.
Ingredients for Veg Biryani (servings-4):-
- 1.5 cups of basmati rice
- 2-3 tablespoon of oil
- 1.5-2 teaspoon biryani masala powder
- 1 cubed potato
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1-2 green chilies
- Fistful of green peas and mint leaves
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice(as per taste)
- 2.5 cups of water
- For garnishing, some corinader leaves and fried capcicum
- 6 cloves
- 1 tej patta
- 4 hari ilaichi
- Two cinnamon sticks of 1 inch eah
- 1 star of anise
- ½ teaspoon jeera
- Few peppercorn
Method for Veg Biryani
- Firstly, soak the rice for at least ten minutes and then keep aside after draining the water.
- Now, for biryani, add the oil in a cooker and add the spices and when aroma spreads in air, saute the onions till they become golden and then add ginger garlic paste. Saute till the smell of garlic is gone.
- Now, add the vegetables and saute them for couple of minutes.
- Add biryani masala and mint leaves and the, add water, salt and lemon juice and stir the mixture well.
- When the water starts to boil, add the soaked rice and close the lid.
- When the cooker whistle on a low flame, turn it off and when pressure is released, serve the biryani with pickle, curd and onions.