Without pickles, indian food is incomplete. Mango, lemon, garlic or mix, any kind of pickle it is, just adds so much taste to the food that one can’t stop eating. Lemon pickle or nimbu ka achar is very famous of its own kind. Instead of buying ready made khata mitha pickle, try this recipe to make homemade pickle.
Ingredients for Nimbu ka achar (1 medium sized bottle or about half kg):-
- 10 large lemons or half kg lemons
- 3 teaspoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ teaspoon of hing.
- ½ teaspoon of roasted jeera powder
- 1 teaspoon dhaniya powder
- 1 cup grated jaggery
- 1 ½ teaspoons of red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon of haldi.
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
Method for the Nimbu ka Achar:-
- Wash the lemons with water and wipe out all the moisture with the help of cloth.
- Now, chop the lemons into small pieces like of a bite.
- Heat a pan and add the grated jaggery on a low flame.
- Stir the jaggery as it keeps on melting.
- Now, one it has melted, add chilli powder,dhaniya powder, haldi, hing, sugar and salt in respective proportions.
- Stir the mixture well on low flame and add oil to it. When the mixture starts boiling, turn out the flame and add chopped lemons to the hot mixture.
- Transfer the mixture in a bowl and let the lemons get coated well with the mixture.
- The, in an airtight container, let the lemons rest and after 3-4 days, lemons will get mixed well with jaggery and spices and for making this process fast, let the pickle enjoy sun.
- Within a week, the pickle will be ready for getting served with your food and can be served for about 2 months if kept safely.