Naan is basically a persian word meaning bread. Naan is a fusion of persian and Indian Mughlai food made with whole wheat flour (aata) and yeast. Garlic naan is the modern version of traditional tandoori naan and widely served with chole and is a soft bread with sweet aroma of garlic. Nowadays, garlic naan is even made on tawa and oven unlike traditional way of using tandoor. And why to buy frozen garlic naan when it is not a rocket science to cook it at home. It is more like making a parantha and nothing else. So, follow the recipe of garlic naan given below and add taste to life.
For 4 servings
1.5 cups of both whole wheat(atta) and all purpose flour(maida)
2 teaspoons of garlic paste
Salt as per taste
4 tablespoon oil or ghee and some extra for roasting of naan
2 teaspoons of sugar
2 teaspoons of chopped garlic
1.5 teaspoons of dry active yeast.
4 tablespoons of curd or 1.5-2 teaspoons of lemon juice
1 teaspoons of kalonji
1 cup water
1-2 teaspoons of coriander leaves
Dough of naan:
- Add yeast in ¾ cup of sugar dissolved warm water.
- When the yeast proofs, add the flours, lemon juice or curd, garlic paste, salt and 4 tablespoons of oil to the yeast water.
- Now, knead a soft and smooth dough and cover the dough with a moist cloth and leave for about 2 hours.
Rolling of the naan:
- After two hours, the dough will be double in size and then make the balls out of the dough of medium size.
- Now, in a plate mix chopped garlic cloves, coriander leaves, kalonji.
- Now, taking the balls of the dough one by one, make the circlular discs using flour of about 2 inches and place the circle on garlic- coriander mixture.
- Now, using the flour dusted board, expand the disc to 5-6 inches.
Roasting of naan:
- On a hot tawa, spread the disc and let the side of garlic coriander mixture face the tawa.
- Let the side be brown a little.
- Now, cook the other side of naan directly on flame using a tong and roast till both sides become brown.
- Spread ghee or oil on the naan and follow the same procedure for other balls too.
- Serve the naan with chole, malai kofta, palak paneer, dal fry, spinach dal or any other gravy based dish and enjoy.