Besan barfi is one of the most basic and easy to make north Indian dessert. It is not very occasion specific; hence it is suitable for almost all occasions. In north India, it is accustomed to serve besan barfi as a prasad on Hanuman Jayanti. Now go and check it how to make one of a kind besan barfi at your home.
Ingredients for besan ki barfi :
- 3 cups of besan
- 2 cups of desi ghee
- ¼ tbsp of cardamom powder
- Chopped nuts
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- 2/3 cup of water
- Few strands of saffron
Recipe for besan ki barfi:
1. Take a deep frying pan or a bowl. Add a mixture of 3 tbsp ghee, ¼ cup of milk along with 3 cups of besan.
2. Mix all the components thoroughly by your fingers until they become crumbs. Leave them undisturbed for some time.
3. After 5-10 minutes, put these crumbs into a grinder of food processor and grind it to make it all smooth.
4. Take a pan and heat 1 cup of ghee in it. Add the processed besan to the ghee and roast this mixture on medium flames for 10 minutes. Stir the mixture continuously.
5. Turn the flames to low and add cardamom powder to the roasted besan and cook for a span of 10-12 minutes.
6. After this time period, you can notice the odour of roasted besan accompanied by change in colour. This can be seen as an indication that the besan has been roasted perfectly.
7. Remove the pan from heating after it. Keep the besan mixture aside and let it cool at room temperature.
8. Now take a utensil and fill it with 2/3 cup of water and add 1 ½ cups of sugar into it. Heat it on medium flames along with stirring continuously so as to dissolve the sugar completely.
9. Add some saffron strands to the sugar syrup for taste enhancement. Let it boil for 10 more minutes. Then, remove the sugar syrup from the heating.
10. Take the roasted besan mixture in the pan and put it on low flames.
11. Pour the sugar syrup into the roasted besan mixture gently and stir the contents vigorously until it gets converted into a thick paste.
12. Immediately transfer it into non stick baking pan gently.
13. Take a spatula and spread uniformly across the baking pan. Garnish the besan barfi with chopped nuts.
14. Let the barfi set in the pan for about 1-2 hours.
15. Cut it into pieces and your besan barfi is ready to be served.